Interactive briefing with civil society
The President of the 68th session of the United Nations General Assembly, H.E. John W. Ashe, invited civil society representatives with a valid UN grounds pass to a special interactive briefing that was held at United Nations Headquarters in New York.
Date/time: 6 February 2014 from 1:15pm - 2:45pm
Venue: United Nations Headquarters, New York, 1st Avenue and 43rd Street
The event was webcast by UNTV. The hastag for the event is #UNPGA68CSO.
The briefing took place in advance of the three (3) high-level events and three (3) thematic debates that the General Assembly President will host in 2014 as a contribution to the elaboration of the post-2015 development agenda, namely:
- Contributions of women, the young and civil society to the post-2015 development agenda (6-7 March);
- Contributions of South-South, North-South and Triangular Cooperation and information and communication technologies for development to the post-2015 development agenda (20-21 May); and
- Human rights and the rule of law in the post-2015 development agenda (17-18 June)
- Water, sanitation and sustainable energy in the post-2015 development agenda (18-19 February);
- Role of partnerships and their contributions to the post-2015 development agenda (9-10 April); and
- Ensuring stable and peaceful societies (24-25 April).
The primary objective of the briefing was to inform and encourage the contributions of civil society and other relevant stakeholders in the events.
The session included a general briefing on the six events, followed by a Q&A with representatives of civil society organizations, major groups and other relevant stakeholders who will have the opportunity to focus their interventions on key issues that they would like to see reflected in the framework of the President of the General Assembly’s events. The interventions have the potential to contribute to the substantive background papers that will be prepared for the six events.
The concept papers are available on each event respective page.