High-Level Event of the General Assembly “The Contributions of Women, the Young and Civil Society to the Post-2015 Development Agenda”
A wide view of the ECOSOC Chamber during the High-Level Event of the General Assembly "The Contributions of Women, the Young and Civil Society to the Post-2015 Development Agenda"
6-7 of March, 2014
Women, young people and civil society have already made major and substantive contributions to the preparation of the Post-2105 Development Agenda with the overarching goal of poverty eradication. However, their continuing, full contribution and participation in the design, implementation and future evolution of this Post-2015 Development Agenda will depend on two fundamental factors: (1) the extent of social inclusion, and conversely, the persistence of challenges such as inequalities, discrimination and marginalization that impede unleashing the full potential, capacities and abilities of all people to contribute to inclusive sustainable development, and to share equitably in its outcomes, and (2) the degree to which they can safely claim dedicated spaces to contribute effectively to decision-making at the global, national and sub-national levels, and the scope to exercise accountability with decision-makers through their actions and voices.
These factors will affect not only the scope for women, young people including children, and civil society to engage in sustainable development, but also their ability to participate as actors, partners and contributors in a transparent, effective, integrated and coordinated manner. This calls for a two way-process of positive reinforcement between the strengthening of capabilities and the exercise of voice.
- Concept Note
- Background Paper
- Statements- United Nations PaperSmart Portal
- Opening segment and general debate (6 March)
- Panel discussion: Bridging the equality gap (7 March)
- Panel discussion: Strategies for the effective, inclusive and particip atory roles for women, the young and civil society in the post-2015 development agenda (7 March)
- Panel discussion: Strategies for the effective, inclusive and participatory roles for women, the young and civil society in the post-2015 development agenda: identifying best practices, tools and mechanisms, and exploring opportunities for new, transparent and sustainable outcomes. (7 March)
Event Photos and Media
March 7 Photos
March 6 Photos
Findings of the My World Survey on Women and Youth - Infographic