Thematic Debate of the General Assembly “Water, Sanitation and Sustainable Energy In the Post-2015 Development Agenda”
A wide view of the Trusteeship Council Chamber as John Ashe (seen on screen), President of the sixty-eighth session of the General Assembly, opens the General Assembly's thematic debate, "Water, Sanitation and Sustainable Energy in the Post-2015 Development Agenda". UN Photo/Paulo Filgueiras
18-19 February, 2014
Water, sanitation and sustainable energy are at the core of sustainable development and the overarching goal of poverty eradication, and are closely linked to the achievement of internationally agreed development goals, including the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
Water and energy are also intimately linked in sustainable consumption and production patterns, and this relationship aggravates resource scarcity and conservation.
Achieving universal access to safe drinking water, basic sanitation and modern energy services is one of the greatest multifaceted development challenges confronting the world today. The role of women and girls is also important, as in many countries they bear the burden of the provision of water and fuel for households and are susceptible to inter alia violence in the absence of adequate water and sanitation services. The post 2015 development agenda will have to respond to these challenges in a manner that allows both developed and developing countries to forge endogenous pathways that build resilience, contribute to the eradication of poverty and lead to sustainable development.
Event Video - Feb 18
Event Video - Feb 19
- Concept note
- Background Paper
- Mr. Ashfaq Khalfan ‐ Economic, Social and Cultural Rights Policy Coordinator– Amnesty International
- Mr. Manuel Thurnhofer, Senior Water Advisor, Swiss Agency for Development Cooperation
- Dr. Analia Mendez – Unilever
- Ms Catarina de Albuquerque, Special Rapporteur: The Human Right to Safe Drinking Water and Sanitation
- Professor Albert Binger, Energy Science Advisor, Caribbean Community Climate Change Centre
- Mr. Najib Saab: Secretary General, Arab Forum for Environment & Development (AFED)
- Mr. Felix Dodds, Co‐Director, Nexus 2014: Water, Food, Climate and Energy Conference
Follow the hashtag: #UNPGA68WSSE