High-level meetings of the 68th Session of the General Assembly
Disability and development -"The way forward: a disability inclusive development agenda towards 2015 and beyond", 23 September 2013
27 September 2016 Noting the obstacles that persons with disabilities or those with other access requirements face in taking advantage of fundamental aspects of travel, senior United Nations officials today urged policy-makers, travel planners and companies that work with persons with disabilities to work together to make travel more accessible.
27 September 2016 Four United Nations human rights experts today urged authorities in Pakistan to halt the execution of Imdad Ali, a man with a psychosocial disability, and to re-try him in compliance with international standards.
Top UN officials highlight how Paralympic Games show that ability, not disability, defines a person’s accomplishments
08 September 2016 Welcoming the start of the 2016 summer Paralympic Games, which got underway in Brazil’s Rio de Janeiro yesterday, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has said that the Games not only showcase the extraordinary abilities of athletes living with a disability, they also promote the rights of all persons with disabilities.
01 September 2016 Inclusive education is central to achieving high quality education for all learners, including those with disabilities, and for the development of inclusive, peaceful and fair societies, UN human rights experts have said in authoritative new guidelines on the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
Women and girls with disabilities are equal rights holders, not ‘helpless objects of pity’ – UN rights committee
30 August 2016 Noting that national policies often tend to treat women and girls with disabilities as helpless objects of pity or allow them to be treated in that manner, the United Nations Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities has stressed that, instead, they need to be empowered and allowed to enjoy their fundamental rights and freedoms, as any other person.
- Press release
- General Assembly High-level Meeting Adopts Outcome Document Seeking to Promote Disability-inclusive Development (23 September 2013)
- Deputy Secretary-General, Addressing General Assembly, Calls for Development Agenda Incorporating Rights, Concerns of Persons with Disabilities (23 September 2013)
- Secretary-General, Addressing General Assembly High-level Meeting on Disability, Calls for Immediate Action to Remove Physical Barriers, Bias, Stigma (23 September 2013)
- General Assembly High-level Meeting Seeks Adoption of Resolution Seeking Decent Work, Access to Basic Services for Persons with Disabilities (23 September 2013)
- Press Conference on Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities in Development Agenda (20 September 2013)