Meetings of the 65th Session
High-level Meeting on Revitalizing the Work of the Conference on Disarmament and Taking Forward Multilateral Disarmament Negotiations convened by the Secretary-General (24 September 2010)
The high-level meeting was held on 24 September 2010 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. A total of 68 delegates spoke, including 37 Ministers for Foreign Affairs and representatives of three specialized organizations.
The High-level Meeting was a unique opportunity to provide greater political impetus for revitalizing the work of the Conference on Disarmament through high-level participation. It also aimed at promoting multilateral disarmament, including through addressing the larger challenges facing the wider architecture of disarmament machinery.
At the end of the meeting, the Secretary- General, as convener and Chair of the high-level meeting, circulated a summary of the discussion which reflected his understanding of the views expressed.
Location: Economic and Social Council Chamber, North Lawn Building at UN Headquarters in New York
- 08:00 a.m. - 08:30 a.m.: Opening segment
- 08:30 a.m. - 12.30 p.m.: Statements (Member States followed by representatives of IAEA, OPCW and the Preparatory Commission
- 12:30 p.m. - 1 p.m.: Closing segment
- Meeting summary (24 September)
- Top UN officials urge countries to advance global disarmament talks (24 September)
- Statement of H.E. Mr. Joseph Deiss, President of the 65th session of the General Assembly, at the opening of the High-level Meeting on Revitalizing the Role of the Conference on Disarmament and taking forward Multilateral Disarmament Negotiations (24 September)