B. Promotion of sustained economic growth and sustainable development in accordance with the relevant resolutions of the General Assembly and recent United Nations conferences
Sport for peace and development
The item entitled “International Year of Sport and Physical Education” was included in the provisional agenda of the fifty-eighth session of the General Assembly, in 2003, at the request of Tunisia (A/58/142). The Assembly decided that it should become sub-item (b) of a new item entitled “Sport for peace and development” (decision 58/503 A).
At the same session, the Assembly proclaimed 2005 the International Year of Sport and Physical Education, as a means to promote education, health, development and peace (resolution 58/5).
At its resumed sixty-second session, in July 2008, the General Assembly welcomed the decision of the Secretary-General to establish a Trust Fund for Sport for Development and Peace; and requested the Secretary-General to report to the Assembly at its sixty-third session on progress at the national, regional and international levels to encourage policies and best practices on sport for development and peace (resolution 62/271).
- Report of the Secretary-General (A/62/271)
References for the sixty-second session (agenda item 45 (a))
- Report of the Secretary-General A/62/325 and Corr.1
- Draft resolution A/62/L.46 and Add.1
- Plenary meeting A/62/PV.115
- Resolution 62/271
Related links :
- UN Peace and Security
- Millennium Development Goals
- International Decade for a Culture of Peace and Non-violence for the Children of the World (2001-2010)
- International Day of Non-Violence
- International Year of Sport and Physical Education
- Sport for Development and Peace