Yoga Session with Yoga Masters
Wednesday, 20 June 2018, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the United Nations North Lawn
Registration for participation in the Yoga Session is now closed.
- Message from the Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi
- Yoga presentation - a group of eight students from India, led by Yoga Teacher Nisha Pushpavam will perform some yoga postures
- Yoga on Mallakhamb – a group of practitioners from the Mallakhamb Federation of USA will make a presentation of this traditional acrobatic yoga practice
- Yoga demonstration – a group of five yoga teachers from the Bhakti Center of New York will make a yoga demonstration: Lauren Baptiste, Athena Breitton, Zachary Jackson, Iramier Ruiz, and Kevin Tovar
- Messages from dignitaries
- Main Yoga session - Swami Paramananda, Manager of the Ashram, “Sivananda Yoga Ranch” (Woodbourne, NY), will lead a yoga session with all the participants
- Talk on Yoga – Dr. H. R. Nagendra will make the main address at the Yoga Session. He is the founder and Chancellor of “Swami Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhana Samsthana – S-VYASA,” a university in Bengaluru (formerly called Bangalore, India), that is dedicated to the study of yoga, based on the teachings of Swami Vivekananda (1863-1920).
- Chants will be performed by members of the Sri Chinmoy Center
- Laser projection of yoga postures – From June 19 through June 21, there will be a laser projection of yoga postures on the North façade of the UN Headquarters Building. The projections will begin on June 19 at 8:30 pm.
- "Yoga, Peace, Unity and Healing: Sharing Collective Meditation in Stillness" - Tillman Chapel of the Church Center for the UN, Tuesday, June 19: 5:00-7:00 pm. Organized by International Day of Yoga Committee at the UN. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Exhibition on Yoga – At the invitation of the United Nations and the Indian Mission at the UN, Sahaya Yoga of New York mounted an exhibit of 14 panels that include the origins of yoga, the “Eightfold Path of Yoga,” Asanas, the meaning of yoga, the benefits of practicing yoga, and an explanation of “Sahaja,” which means ‘spontaneous.’ The exhibition was opened on Monday June 18 (6:15 pm) and will last until June 22. It is located near the East Lounge, at UN Headquarters.
Conversation with Yoga Masters: Yoga for Peace
Thursday, 21 June 2018, 3:00 to 4:30 p.m., Conference Room 3, United Nations
- Mitchell Rabin
Founder of A Better World Foundation
- Dr. H. R. Nagendra
Founder Chancellor, S-VYASA Deemed University, Bengaluru
- Eric Bowman
A peace activist and author who has been working to address and prevent violence in Baltimore since 2015. Eric experienced the negative effects of crime and violence throughout his childhood and as a young adult first hand. A reformer who has turned his life around through the practice of yoga and meditation.
- Lila Lolling
Yoga Teacher & Founder of DeafYoga Foundation Inc., New York
Acharya, International Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre
- John Bennett
War Veteran of USA
- Madhusudan Balasubramanian
Founder and Virtual Reality Director at MYSTICS
The panel discussion will be followed by an Interactive Session.