How does access to Sustainable Energy help?
Access to energy, particularly sustainable energy, is indistinguishable from a sustainable future for the developing world. Not only does access to energy transform the lives of the energy-poor by raising living standards, it also:
- enables income generation – for example, through solar pumps for irrigation or electricity for a small business;
- provides power to community health clinics, and refrigerators to store medicines, as well as cell phones, which have transformed commerce;
- reduces the time and drudgery of collecting fuel wood, supporting cleaner, more efficient cooking and heating options;
- provides lighting, so children can study after dark;
- enables businesses to operate and creates new opportunities for entrepreneurs.