INTERVIEW: UN envoy spotlights improvements in water and sanitation as critical to tackling cholera in Haiti
13 June 2016 - Incidence of cholera has gone down by 90 per cent in Haiti from 2011 to last year, and the United Nations will continue to help the country tackle the root causes of the disease, such as lack of clean water and sanitation services, the deputy head of the UN mission there has said.
10 June 2016 - Some 30,000 residents of three localities in Haiti now have access to potable water, thanks to a sanitation campaign launched by the Government and supported by the United Nations following a cholera epidemic that killed almost 100 people in the community.
29 March 2016 - Growing food insecurity is causing more and more South Sudanese to flee into Sudan, the United Nations refugee agency today, urging more funding for clean water, sanitation and health services, food and shelter.
11 March 2016 - Improving water and sanitation services may be the best answer to addressing the outbreak of the Zika virus, according to United Nations human rights experts, who stress that such critical factors should not be in the shadow of hi-tech solutions being considered.
31 December 2015 - With more than 2.5 billion people worldwide, one third of the total population, living without access to proper toilets, the United Nations General Assembly has recognised sanitation as a separate human right in a bid to curb a major source of deadly infections.
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
- Cholera Battle ‘Slowly Being Won’, Secretary-General Says at Launch of Initiative in Haiti, Urging Broader Focus on Safe Drinking Water, Adequate Sanitation - 14 July 2014
- Water, Sanitation Critical Concerns amid Rapid Urbanization, Secretary-General Stresses in Message for Environment-related Singapore Events - 2 June 2014
- Tackling Sanitation Challenges will Require Inventive, Lasting Solutions, Deputy Secretary-General Tells Social Innovation Summit - 29 May 2014
- Investing in Water, Sanitation, Energy Essential to Improving Chances for Better Life, Says Deputy Secretary-General during General Assembly Debate - 19 February 2014
- Third Committee Approves Text on Human Right to Safe Drinking Water and Sanitation, 10 Other Draft Resolutions - 21 November 2013
- In Message for World Toilet Day, Secretary-General Urges that Sanitation Be at Heart of Post-2015 Development Framework - 8 November 2013
- Deputy Secretary-General, Addressing Dialogue, Urges Greater Action to Achieve Water, Sanitation Goals, Stressing that Millions Lack Proper Hygiene - 30 October 2013