UN Press Releases
- United Nations Office for Disarmament Affairs Fellowship Programme to Enhance Young Diplomats’ Expertise Begins Final Segment at Headquarters - 7 October 2014
- Nuclear Disarmament ‘Not an Idealistic Dream’, But Urgent Necessity for Humanity’s Security, Says Secretary-General in International Day Message - 24 September 2014
- Secretary-General, Saddened by Death of Former Georgian President Eduard Shevardnadze, Praises His Efforts on Disarmament - 7 July 2014
- Office for Disarmament Affairs to Host International Workshop on Information, Cybersecurity, in Beijing, 5-6 June - 4 June 2014
- Office for Disarmament Affairs to Host Workshop for Portuguese-Speaking States on Implementing Security Council Resolution 1540 (2004), in Togo, 5-6 June - 4 June 2014
- Secretary-General Calls Michael Douglas ‘Global Voice for Disarmament’, in Video Message upon His Retirement from Ploughshares Fund - 3 June 2014
- United Nations Regional Centre for Peace and Disarmament in Asia, Government of Myanmar Hold Workshop on Small Arms Control, 15-16 May - 15 May 2014
UN News Centre Stories
23 September 2016 - Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov today warned that some Western countries’ supremacy and exclusiveness undermined equitable international cooperation, calling on world leaders gathered at the United Nations General Assembly to support Russian initiatives in counter-terrorism and disarmament.
23 September 2016 - Reaffirming that proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, and their means of delivery, threatens international peace and security, the United Nations Security Council today adopted a resolution urging all States who haven't done so to sign the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty.
21 September 2016 - Addressing the United Nations General Assembly, Japan’s Prime Minister, Shinzo Abe, today urged the UN Security Council to show an Â“unmistakable attitudeÂ” towards the threat to international peace and security posed by the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK), which he said has launched 21 ballistic missiles and conducted two nuclear tests this year alone.
UN atomic chief reports on agency’s role in nuclear safety, sustainable development, combating illness
19 September 2016 - In his address to the Board of Governors of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Yukiya Amano, the agency’s Director-General, highlighted work in various areas, including nuclear applications, nuclear safety and security, safeguards and technical cooperation, and modernizing a new pest control facility to tackle vector-brome diseases such as Zika.
19 September 2016 - The United Nations nuclear energy agency has begun constructing a new laboratory that will enable it to better help countries use nuclear techniques, such as application of irradiation to sterilize insects, in the fight against pests, including mosquitoes that spread the Zika virus and other diseases.