1. The Forests for People: UN International Short Film Contest (“Contest”) requires entrants to create a short film, up to 90 seconds in length, that demonstrates how forests are important to them, or inspires them in some way.
2. To enter the Contest, entrants must upload their film to YouTube. In doing so, the entrant must follow all terms, conditions and policies specified by YouTube, including the creation of a YouTube account.
3. Entrants must also complete our designated Entry Form, in English, with all fields accurately completed in full. This includes all required contact information, and the YouTube link to their film. Entrants who cannot be contacted, or who delete their film from YouTube prior to the announcement of Contest winners, will be automatically disqualified.
4. Entrants may use any type of film or photo technology to complete their entry, including but not limited to video, mobile camera, web camera, photography, animation and artwork.
5. An individual entrant may submit up to three separate film entries in total. Subsequent entries will not be deemed valid.
6. The Contest period is 19th June to 15th December 2012.
7. Following the Contest end date, an international jury will select 15 semi-finalists and five finalist films for premieres at the United Nations Forum on Forests conference, to be held in Istanbul, Turkey in April 2013, and at the 2013 Jackson Hole Wildlife Film Festival. The five finalists will also be invited to attend the film premiere at the United Nations Forum on Forests meeting in Istanbul, with travel support to be provided. All semi-finalists and finalists will be contacted after the judging is complete.
8. Judging will take place by an international jury. Their decision is final and binding.
9. The Contest is open to all individuals and groups, regardless of age or location. Employees of the United Nations Forum on Forests Secretariat and the Jackson Hole Wildlife Film Festival are prohibited from Contest entry.
10. Entrants under 18 years of age may participate with the permission of their parents or legal guardians. If the film of an entrant under 18 years of age is chosen as a semi-finalist or finalist, and written parental or guardian permission cannot be provided, the United Nations Forum on Forests Secretariat has the right to reject the entry.
11. Entrants are required to obtain permission from all persons appearing on camera, in person or in voice. If an entrant is chosen as a semi-finalist or finalist, and such written permission cannot be provided, the United Nations Forum on Forests Secretariat has the right to reject the entry.
12. Use of copyrighted materials in a film entry, including but not limited to music, trademarks and film or still footage, is prohibited unless the entrant has written permission to use such materials. If written permission cannot be provided, the United Nations Forum on Forests Secretariat has the right to reject the entry.
13. Entrants of all films selected as a semi-finalist or finalist will be notified via e-mail. If no response is provided within seven days of notification, the winner shall forfeit any and all claims, and will be disqualified.
14. All film entries become the sole and exclusive property of the United Nations Forum on Forests Secretariat, and it becomes the sole rights holder. The United Nations Forum on Forests Secretariat has the right to show, screen and/or broadcast all entries, in all media, in whole or or in part, without limitation.
15. The United Nations Forum on Forests Secretariat will not be responsible or liable for: a) any problem, loss or damage due to delay and/or failure in receiving and sending the entry as a result of any network, communication or system interruption or error, b) any error, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, site failure or unauthorised access to entries, as a result of use of the designated YouTube channel and/or website, c) any problem, damage or loss of whatever nature to any entrant, or their authorised representatives, resulting from their participation in the Contest.
16. The United Nations Forum on Forests Secretariat reserves the right to cancel, modify, suspend or delay the Contest in the event of unforeseen circumstances beyond its reasonable control. The United Nations Forum on Forests Secretariat reserves the right to change, amend, delete or add to these Contest terms and conditions without prior notice at any time, and the entrants shall be bound to such changes.
17. All decisions are final.