The annual observance of the International Day of Families reflects the importance the international community attaches to families and is an opportunity to demonstrate support to families. Governments, non-governmental organizations, educational institutions and individuals are encouraged to organize observances of the Day to raise awareness of issues relating to families and increase the knowledge of the social, economic and demographic processes affecting families. Such observances can promote a better understanding of the functions, strengths and needs of families.
2016 observance held in New York
Panel Discussion: “Men in Charge? Gender Equality and Children’s Rights in Contemporary Families”
Thursday, 12 May 2016, 1:15-2:45 UN HQ New York Conference Room 12
International panel of experts will address the role of families and family policies for the achievement of Sustainable Development Goal 3: Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages.
- Safe and supporting family environment and children’s well-being
- Work-family balance and health outcomes for all family members
- Men in families and children’s health and educational outcomes
- Families, parents and youth well-being
- Families, intergenerational transfers and well-being of older adults
All are invited.
For further information please contact Ms. Renata Kaczmarska, Focal Point on the Family, DPSD/DESA at email@example.com, tel. 1 212 963 4596.
Download the programme