INFORMAL MEETING OF THE UNITED NATIONS GENERAL ASSEMBLY TO MARK THE OBSERVANCE OF THE INTERNATIONAL DAY AGAINST NUCLEAR TESTS
The Meeting is convened by H.E. Mr. John Ashe, President of the United Nations General Assembly, and organized in cooperation with the Permanent Mission of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Date: Wednesday, 10 September 2014
Time: 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Venue: Trusteeship Council, United Nations Headquarters
Opening Statements by:
- H.E. Mr. John Ashe, President of the United Nations General Assembly
- H.E. Mr. Ban Ki-moon, Secretary-General of the United Nations
- H.E. Mr. Ermek Kosherbayev, First Deputy of the Governor of Eastern Kazakhstan (Semipalatinsk region)
High-Level Interactive Panel on the Path to Zero: The Role of the United Nations in Nuclear Disarmament and Non-Proliferation
The official opening ceremony will be followed by a High-Level Panel on the above theme. The panelists are expected to cover some key issues, including necessary steps for further progress on nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation, the establishment of nuclear-weapon-free zones, confidence building and other relevant issues.
H.E. Ambassador U. Joy Ogwu, Permanent Representative of Nigeria to the United Nations
- Ms. Angela Kane, High Representative for Disarmament Affairs, United Nations Office for Disarmament Affairs
- H.E. Ambassador Libran Cabactulan, Permanent Representative of Philippines to the United Nations
- H.E. Ambassador Guillermo Rishchynski, Permanent Representative of Canada to the United Nations
- Mr. Geoffrey Shaw, Representative of the Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency to the United Nations
The panel will be followed by observations and questions from Member States.
The Informal Meeting is open to all diplomats, think-tanks, the academic community, civil society and the media. Those without a UN Grounds Pass interested in these events should kindly contact: firstname.lastname@example.org,
or tel: 1-212-2301900, ext 322.