INFORMAL MEETING OF THE UNITED NATIONS GENERAL ASSEMBLY TO MARK THE OBSERVANCE OF THE INTERNATIONAL DAY AGAINST NUCLEAR TESTS
The Meeting was convened by His Excellency Mr. Vuk Jeremić, President of the 67th session of the UN General Assembly, and organized in cooperation with the Permanent Mission of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Date: Thursday, 5 September 2013
Time: 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Venue: United Nations Headquarter, Trusteeship Council
Opening statements by:
- H.E. Mr. Vuk Jeremić, President of the 67th session of the UN General Assembly
- H.E. Mr. Ban Ki-moon, Secretary-General of the United Nations [delivered by Angela Kane, United Nations High Representative for Disarmament Affairs]
- H.E. Mr. Vladimir Bozhko, Minister for Emergency Situations of the Republic of Kazakhstan
High-Level Panel on the Path to Zero: The Role of the United Nations in Nuclear Disarmament and Non-Proliferation
The official opening ceremony was followed by a High-Level Panel on the above theme. The panelists covered a number of key issues, including necessary steps for further progress on nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation, the establishment of further nuclear-weapon-free zones, confidence building and other relevant concerns.
H.E. Ambassador Eduardo Ulibarri, Permanent Representative of Costa Rica to the United Nations in New York
- Ms. Angela Kane, High Representative for Disarmament Affairs, United Nations Office for Disarmament Affairs
- Mr. Andreas Riecken, Chargé d’Affaires a.i., Permanent Mission of Austria to the United Nations in New York
- Mr. Lassina Zerbo, Executive Secretary, Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test- Ban Treaty
- Mr. Geoffrey Shaw, Representative of the Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency to the United Nations
- Andrew S. Kanter, MD, Immediate Past-President, Physicians for Social Responsibility and Co-Vice President for North America, International Physicians for Prevention of Nuclear War - slide presentation
H.E. Ambassador Enrique Roman-Morey, Permanent Representative of Peru to the United Nations in New York
Other statements made:
- Statement by H.E. Mr. Halit Çevik, Permanent Representative of Turkey to the United Nations
- Statement by H.E. Mr. Ioannis Vrailas, Chargé d’Affaires a.i., Delegation of the European Union to the United Nations
- Statement by H.E. Mr. Peter Wilson, Deputy Permanent Representative of the United Kingdom to the United Nations
- Statement by the Permanent Mission of Indonesia to the United Nations
For a summary of the proceedings, please see the press release
EXHIBITION – Peace Now: Abolish Nuclear Tests and Weapons
An exhibition entitled, Peace Now: Abolish Nuclear Tests and Weapons, organized by the Permanent Mission of Kazakhstan to the United Nations in cooperation with the UN Department of Public Information, was held on the occasion of the observance of the 2013 International Day against Nuclear Tests (29 August).
Dates: 4 -8 September 2013
Venue: Main Corridor, First Floor, Conference Building of the United Nations on First Avenue.
Wednesday, 4 September 2013, 6 p.m. at exhibition site.
About the exhibition:
The exhibition portrayed the paintings of the renowned Kazakh artist, Mr. Karipbek Kuyukov, who paints only with his feet, being a victim of the effects of nuclear radiation. His art depicts the triumph of the human spirit over the horrors of nuclear testing. He is the designated Ambassador of the ATOM Project and has received international acclaim for his committed and tireless advocacy to achieve total nuclear abolition.
There was also a display of the ATOM Project (Abolish Testing Our Mission), the official project of the Government of Kazakhstan, to end all nuclear weapons tests.