2008 ANNUAL MINISTERIAL REVIEW JULY SESSION
The 2008 Annual Ministerial Review comprised two main elements. The national voluntary presentations and a thematic discussion on “Implementing the internationally agreed goals and commitments in regard to sustainable development”.
National Voluntary Presentations
During the National Voluntary Presentations (NVP) Chile, Kazakhstan, Tanzania and Lao PDR presented the lessons which they have learned in formulating and implementing their national development strategies and Belgium, Luxembourg, Finland, and United Kingdom will report on their progress in assisting developing countries' in their efforts.
|TANZANIA||THE UNITED KINGDOM|
II. AMR Discussion on “ Implementing the internationally agreed goals and commitments in regard to sustainable development ”
The national voluntary presentation were complemented by a panel discussion on “The role of ecosystem services in sustainable development”, which was held on 2 July 2008, as well as a general debate on the theme of the high-level segment.
Roundtable on “The role of ecosystem services in sustainable development”
Natural ecosystems, as a result of the proper functioning of their components, have a fundamental role in providing goods and services on which humanity depends. They provide direct services, such as food and water, regulate climate, support nutrient cycles and crop pollination, provide spiritual and recreational benefits and preserve diversity. The maintenance of healthy ecosystems is essential to achieving the goal of ensuring environmental sustainability, while improving the livelihood of the world's poorest, who depend most on fields, forests and waters. This Roundtable addressed the role of economic valuation and incentives for the conservation of ecosystems.
- Jean-Marc Hoscheit, Permanent Representative of the Permanent Mission of Luxembourg to the United Nations [Chair]
- Achim Steiner, Executive Director of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) [Moderator]
- Ahmed Djoghlaf, Executive Secretary of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD)
- Hillary Masundire, Chair of the Commission on Ecosystem Management, The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN)
- Magnus Ngoile, Director General of the National Environment Management Council ( Tanzania )
- Dane Gobin, Chief Executive Officer of the Iwokrama International Centre for Rainforest Conservation and Development ( Guyana )
- Jorge Mario Rodriguez, Director of National Forestry Financing Fund (FONAFIFO, Costa Rica )
- Anna Kajukulo Tibaijuka, Executive Director of the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-HABITAT) [Lead Discussant]