2014 ANNUAL MINISTERIAL REVIEW
The 2014 Annual Ministerial Review (AMR) will be convened as part of the ECOSOC High-level Segment in July 2014, at United Nations Headquarters in New York. The theme of the 2014 AMR is “Addressing on-going and emerging challenges for meeting the Millennium Development Goals in 2015 and for sustaining development gains in the future”.
The 2014 AMR will take place in the overall substantive context of the final push to accelerate progress to achieve the Millennium Development Goals by 2015, the continued follow-up to Rio+20 and the discussions and process for elaborating the post-2015 development agenda.
The 2014 AMR will provide an opportunity for ECOSOC to:
- take stock of progress as well as obstacles in the context of the final year of implementation towards achievement of the Millennium Development Goals;
- offer policy recommendations for accelerating progress with a view to addressing and overcoming ongoing and emerging challenges; and
- define a path that sustains development gains into the future.
The Report of the Secretary-General on the theme of the 2014 AMR – “Addressing on-going and emerging challenges for meeting the Millennium Development Goals in 2015 and for sustaining development gains in the future” – will provide a basis for the discussion.
Ten countries – Bolivia, Gambia, Georgia, Kuwait, Mexico, Qatar, Sudan, Thailand, United Kingdom, and the State of Palestine – have volunteered to give National Voluntary Presentations (NVPs) during the 2014 AMR session.
The 2014 AMR will also benefit from the deliberations of the second meeting of the High-level Political Forum (HLPF), convened 30 June – 9 July 2014 under the auspices of ECOSOC. The HLPF will address the theme “Achieving the Millennium Development Goals and charting the way for an ambitious post-2015 development agenda, including the sustainable development goals".
The 2014 ECOSOC High-level Segment and the ministerial meeting of the HLPF (7-9 July) will result in a Ministerial Declaration, which will be available on the ECOSOC website upon its adoption.
Several activities have taken place at the regional and global levels in preparation for the 2014 AMR:
- Regional preparations for the 2014 AMR during the Arab High Level Forum on Sustainable Development, Jordan
- Regional preparations for the 2014 AMR during the Asia-Pacific Forum on Sustainable Development, Thailand
- Pan-African Conference on Inequalities in the Context of Structural Transformation, Ghana
- The first ECOSOC Integration Segment on “Sustainable Urbanization”
- ECOSOC Youth Integration Forum on “Uniting for Youth Beyond 2015: Realizing the Future They Want”
- e-Discussion on “Addressing on-going and emerging challenges for meeting the Millennium Development Goals in 2015 and for sustaining development gains in the future”