2010 ANNUAL MINISTERIAL REVIEW
The 2010 AMR was held during the High-level Segment (HLS) of the substantive session of the ECOSOC, on 28 June – 1 July 2010, at United Nations Headquarters in New York. It focused on "Implementing the internationally agreed goals and commitments in regard to gender equality and the empowerment of women". The 2010 AMR provided an opportunity to:
- Assess the state of implementation of the United Nations Development Agenda with a focus on its gender-related goals and objectives;
- Explore key challenges in achieving the international goals and commitments in the area of gender equality and the empowerment of women;
- Consider recommendations and proposals for action, including new initiatives and partnerships to accelerate the implementation of gender-related objectives at all levels.
The Secretary-General’s Report on the 2010 AMR provided the basis for the discussion. The report reviewed the implementation of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action, the outcomes of the twenty-third special session of the General Assembly and its contribution in shaping a gender perspective towards the realization of the MDGs.
The AMR session also featured keynote addresses on gender-related issues with the participation of Ministers of Gender Issues, Development Cooperation, Economics, Finance, Health, Foreign Affairs, Executive Heads of UN Agencies, Funds and Programmes, and representatives of civil society, private sector and academia. In addition, a record 13 countries have volunteered to make National Voluntary Presentations (NVPs) during the 2010 AMR session: Australia, Brazil, France, Guatemala, Moldova, Mongolia, Namibia, The Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Republic of the Congo, Republic of Korea and The United States. The NVPs focused on progress made at the national level in implementing the Internationally Agreed Development Goals (IADGs), including the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
Several preparatory activities have taken place at the national, regional and global level in preparation for the 2010 AMR.
- AMR Philanthropy meeting on "Women's Empowerment Principles: Equality Means Business", 29 April 2010 (Presentation / Document)
- Global Preparatory Meeting, 22 April 2010
- e-discussion on Women and Poverty, 11 January - 12 February 2010
- Regional Preparatory Meeting for Africa on Women and Health, 12-13 January
- National workshops in preparation for the NVPs
Outcome: 2010 AMR Ministerial Declaration on "Implementing the internationally agreed goals and commitments in regard to gender equality and the empowerment of women".