Preparatory Meeting for the Thematic Debate
2008 High-level Segment
17 April 2008, UN Headquarters, New York
3:00 – 5:30 p.m.
- Statements -
Opening of the meeting
- Welcome by H.E. Ambassador Léo Mérorès, President of ECOSOC
- Opening remarks by Mr. Sha Zukang, Under-Secretary-General for Economic and Social Affairs
- Moderator: Mr. Thomas Stelzer, Assistant Secretary General for Policy Coordination and Interagency Affairs
- Ms. Isabel Lavadenz-Paccieri, Programme Coordinator, Sustainable Development Network, World Bank will provide an overview of the impact of recent global trends on land, vulnerability and poor people.
- Ms. Victoria Tauli-Corpuz, Chairperson of the Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues, will highlight the affects of climate change and biofuel production on the lives and livelihoods of indigenous peoples.
- Mr. Andy White, Coordinator, Rights and Resources Initiative, Washington D.C., will focus on forests and the social dimension of climate change
- Mr. Papa Mawade Wade, Centre de Suivi, Senegal, will discuss the impact of climate change, increased biofuels production etc on land degradation and desertification
4:15 – 5:15 pm Interactive Dialogue
5:20 – 5:30 pm Closing of meeting by President of ECOSOC