OPERATIONAL ACTIVITIES SEGMENT
The General Assembly, in resolution 68/1, decided that the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) through its Operational Activities for Development Segment will:
- provide overall coordination and guidance for operational development funds and programmes on a system-wide basis. Such guidance should include objectives, priorities and strategies in the implementation of the policies formulated by the General Assembly, including the quadrennial comprehensive policy review;
- concentrate this guidance on cross-cutting and coordination issues related to operational activities;
- make efforts to focus on improving the overall impact of operational activities of the United Nations system in support of national development priorities.
To ensure that these functions are performed effectively, the General Assembly requested the governing boards in their reports to the Council to highlight the issues requiring examination and identify actions to be taken, guided by the chosen main theme. The General Assembly also encouraged the participation of national officials directly involved in the implementation of national development strategies, as well as field-level representatives of the United Nations system.
2014 Operational activities for development segment
The first operational activities for development segment in the new ECOSOC cycle will take place 24-26 February 2014 at UN headquarters in New York. The segment aims to start a forward-looking dialogue on how to adapt the UN system to important changes taking place in the broader development landscape.
For more information on this year’s segment, please see the below documents:
- Background note
- Draft annotated agenda
- SG report - Implementation of General Assembly Resolution 67/226 on the quadrennial comprehensive policy review of operational activities for development of the United Nations system (QCPR)
- Statistical annex to SG report (latest funding data)
- SG Note
- SWE policy document
Informal Side Events
In conjunction with the 2014 operational activities for development segment, a number of informal side events are being organized by different partners. A list of confirmed side events is here below. If a Member State, UN entity or another stakeholder is planning an informal side event during the 2014 Operational Activities for Development Segment, please inform Taline Tateossian, DCPB/DESA (tel.: 1-917-367-4707, email: email@example.com) so that it can be included on this page.
- Presentation of the report "United Nations Development at a Crossroads" by the NYU-Center for International Cooperation followed by discussion [organized by the Dag Hammarskjöld Foundation]. - Monday, 24 February 2014, 8:15 to 9.30 am, Conference Room 5, North Lawn Building. [For further information, please contact Mr. Michael Hjelmåker, DHF (e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org; tel. (+46-705-120122).]
- Pilot independent system-wide evaluations of UN operational activities for development, 24th February, 1:15-2:45 p.m., UN Secretariat Building S-2727 [organized by the Interim Coordination Mechanism: UNEG, JIU, OCHA, OIOS, DESA]
- Opportunities for increasing the use of pooled funding mechanisms to enhance the UN’s joint results in development, 25 February 2014, 8h30 – 10h00, Delegates Dining Room
- Experiences on the Implementation of the Delivery as One in Latin America, organized by the Permanent Mission of El Salvador to the UN, Tuesday, 25 Febrary, 1:15-2:45 pm., Conference Room 7, North Lawn Building
- Empowering countries through evaluation - the global movement towards the 2015 International Year of Evaluation, 26th February, 1:15-2:45 p.m., Conference Room 8, North Lawn Building [organized by the United Nations Evaluation Group]