Timely and accurate information about population trends continues to be in high demand. Knowledge about the current size and structure of a country’s population is needed for the formulation and implementation of policies and programmes in almost all areas of public life. The Population Division of the Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA) of the United Nations Secretariat has the task of estimating and projecting levels and trends of populations for all the countries of the world as well as related demographic indicators, namely in the area of fertility, mortality and migration, while using the cohort component method. These estimates and projections are used widely throughout the UN system as well as by a wide range of users in academia, NGOs, civil society and the private sector. The World Population Prospects is a flagship publication of the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs.
- World Population Prospects main page
- Interactive data: Population, Detailed indicators
- Country profiles
- Population pyramids
- World Population Prospects: The 2010 Revision, Highlights and Advance Tables
- World Population Prospects: The 2010 Revision, Volume I: Comprehensive Tables
- World Population Prospects: The 2010 Revision, Volume II: Demographic Profiles