United Nations (1989). Projection methods for integrating population variables into development planning. Module One: Conceptual issues and methods for preparing demographic projections. ST/ESA/SER.R/90.
- Preface and table of contents (563 KB)
- Chapter I. A conceptual framework for development planning (1096 KB)
- Chapter II. The cohort component method for making population projections (4373 KB)
- Chapter III. The headship rate method for making household projections (1470 KB)
- Glossary (509 KB)
- Download the report (zipped file)
This Manual is the first volume of a three-part series. It is directed at officials in central planning organizations, planning departments of relevant sectoral ministries and experts at central statistical offices. The manual presents the conceptual basis for integrating demographic variables in planning and provides detailed overviews of the cohort-component method of demographic projections and the headship rate method of household projections, introduces the techniques and discusses data requirements. Module One is related to the other two Modules of the series as well as to Manuals III and VIII.