United Nations (1970). Methods of measuring internal migration (United Nations Publications, Sales No. E.70.XIII.3).
- Preface and table of contents (313 KB)
- Introduction (316 KB)
- Chapter I. Census data on internal migration (1293 KB)
- Chapter II. Indirect measures of net internal migration (966 KB)
- Chapter III. Measurement of rural-urban migration (180 KB)
- Chapter IV. Rates, ratios and other indices (794 KB)
- Download the Module (zipped file)
This Manual is an aid to demographers and population experts to estimate flows of internal migration and stocks of migrants. The Manual explains the use of censuses, population registers and sample surveys as sources of data on migration and introduces direct and indirect methods to derive varied indicators. Manual VI is related to Manual II, Preparing migration data for subnational population projections and Model life tables for developing countries.