United Nations (1967). Manual IV. Methods of estimating basic demographic measures from incomplete data(United Nations Publications, Sales No. 67.XIII.2).
- Preface and table of contents
- Introduction (273 KB)
- Chapter I. The accuracy of census total (1757 KB)
- Chapter II. The completeness of vital statistics (519 KB)
- Chapter III. The accuracy of age and sex statistics (319 KB)
- Chapter IV. Adequacy of migration statistics (802 KB)
- Chapter V. Data useful for estimates of fertility and mortality (136 KB)
- Chapter VI. Examples of estimates based on records of population growth and distribution by age (1209 KB)
- Chapter VII. Examples of estimates based on questions about fertility and mortality (237 KB)
- Chapter VIII. Examples of estimates based on child survival and age distributions (158 KB)
- Appendices (229 KB)
- Download the report (zipped file)
This Manual presents a variety of methods to estimate fertility and mortality from census and survey data. The manual combines theoretical exposition with non-technical, do-it-yourself instructions so all the methods can be employed by persons with limited expertise in demography. Examples of actual application of the most important methods are also provided. Manual IV is closely related to other manuals in this cluster, in particular Manuals II and X as well as to Manual III and the publications on stable population and model life tables in the cluster Demographic models.