United Nations (1990). Step-by-step guide to the estimation of child mortality (United Nations Publications, Sales No. E.89.xIII.9).
- Preface and table of contents
- Introduction (273 KB)
- Chapter I. Indicators of mortality in childhood (473 KB)
- Chapter II. Data required for the Brass method (481 KB)
- Chapter III. Rationale of the Brass method (204 KB)
- Chapter IV. Trussell version of the Brass method (464 KB)
- Chapter V. Palloni-Heligman version of the Brass method (565 KB)
- Chapter VI. Interpretation and use of the estimates yielded by the Brass method (458 KB)
- Chapter VII. Brass-Macrae method (323 KB)
- Download the report (zipped file)
The aim of this Guide is to teach the Brass and Brass-Macrae methods developed for using retrospective information to obtain robust estimates of child mortality in settings where the registration systems do not produce reliable data. The exposition of the basic concepts is followed by detailed instructions whose application does not require demographic training. The Guide is accompanied by the Qfive software and is related to Manuals IV and X.