Mr. John Wilmoth
Mr. John Wilmoth took up his position as Director of the Population Division on 2 January 2013. He comes to us from a distinguished academic career, lastly as Professor at the Department of Demography of the University of California at Berkeley. He has also previously worked for the Population Division as chief of its Mortality Section from 2005 to 2007.
Mr. Wilmoth is the author or co-author of more than 50 scientific papers or various aspects of mortality including papers on the causes of the historical mortality decline, future trends in human mortality and life-expectancy, exceptional longevity, possible limits to life expectancy, and social group differences in mortality. Mr. Wilmoth has also served as a consultant to the World Health Organization and the World Bank, leading the development of new global estimates of maternal mortality. He is a member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the Population Association of America, and the Gerontological Society of America and serves on the editorial boards of several leading demographic journals including Demographic Research and the European Journal of Population.
Presentations by the Director
- DESA interview as precursor to the 46th Session of the Commission on Population and Development. (2013)
- Press Conference preceding the High Level Dialogue on International Migration at the 68th Session of the General Assembly (2013)
- Press Conference on the 2012 revision of the World Population Prospects
- Opening Statement for the Forty-sixth Session of the Commission on Population and Development - New York. 22 April 2013
Briefing for Member States
- Population Dynamics in the Post-2015 Development Agenda - New York. 22 Jan 2013