Mr. John Wilmoth
Mr. John Wilmoth took up his position as Director of the Population Division on 2 January 2013. He comes to us from a distinguished academic career, lastly as Professor at the Department of Demography of the University of California at Berkeley. He has also previously worked for the Population Division as chief of its Mortality Section from 2005 to 2007.
Mr. Wilmoth is the author or co-author of more than 50 scientific papers examining various aspects of population dynamics and population issues, including the causes of the historical decline of human mortality, prospects for future trends in life expectancy, the impact of population ageing on public pension and healthcare systems, popular perceptions of population growth and its consequences, and methodologies for estimating and projecting demographic trends. Mr. Wilmoth has also served as a consultant to the World Health Organization and the World Bank from 2009 to 2012, leading the development of new global estimates of maternal mortality. He is a member of the Population Association of America and the International Union for the Scientific Study of Population. He also serves on the editorial boards of some leading demographic journals including Demographic Research and the European Journal of Population.
Presentations by the Director
- Presentation to INED, Paris, France Sept 2014
- Presentation of the report of the Secretary-General entitled "World Demographic Trends" at the Forty-sixth Session of the Commission on Population and Development - New York. 7 April 2014
- DESA interview as precursor to the 46th Session of the Commission on Population and Development. (2013)
- Press Conference preceding the High Level Dialogue on International Migration at the 68th Session of the General Assembly (2013)
- Press Conference on the 2012 revision of the World Population Prospects
- Introduction to the report of the Secretary-General entitled "World Demographic Trends" at the Forty-sixth Session of the Commission on Population and Development - New York. 7 April 2014
- Opening Statement for the Forty-sixth Session of the Commission on Population and Development - New York. 22 April 2013
Briefing for Member States
- Population Dynamics in the Post-2015 Development Agenda - New York. 22 Jan 2013