UN DESA | DPAD | Development Policy Analysis Division
Realizing the MDGs through Socially Inclusive Macroeconomic Policies in the Arab Region
UN-DESA • UNDP • League of Arab States • World Bank
Inception & Training Workshop
League of Arab States
Cairo, 2–5 April 2007
To initiate the project's application in the Arab Region with a first-tier group of 5 countries (i.e., Egypt, Jordan, Morocco, Tunisia and Yemen) and with other countries of the region as observers, the inception and first training workshop was held on 2-5 April, 2007 in Cairo. This first workshop was organized by the Development Policy and Analysis Division of the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN-DESA/DPAD) and the Regional Bureau for Arab States (RBAS) of UNDP, in close collaboration with the League of Arab States (LAS) and the World Bank.
The main objectives of the workshop were to:
- introduce the project's objectives and methodology;
- define the milestones and timeframe of the project;
- provide country teams with training in the project's methodology;
- identify needs for tailoring the methodology to country-specific conditions;
- identify prerequisites for the successful implementation of the project, particularly regarding country-team organization and data availability and compilation; and
- familiarise participants with the intended outcomes of the project and their potential uses, in terms of country-study results, policymaking, and sustainability of capacity-building.