UN DESA | DPAD | Development Policy Analysis Division
Strengthening Macroeconomic and Social Policy Coherence through Integrated Macro-Micro Modelling (2011-2013)
UN-DESA • MOFPED • UNDP Uganda
Scoping mission and inception workshop
LAICO Lake Victoria Entebbe Hotel
17-20 October 2011
At the request of the Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development (MOFPED) the scoping mission and inception workshop on “Strengthening Macro-Micro Modelling Capacities to Assess Development Support Measures and Strategies” was conducted on 17-19 October, 2011 in Entebbe, Uganda. It was jointly organized by DPAD/UN-DESA, UNDP Uganda and MOFPED and was part of Development Account Projects “Strengthening Macroeconomic and Social Policy Coherence through Integrated Macro-Micro Modelling” and “Graduation strategies for Least Developed Countries in Asia and Africa”, and UNDP’s Country Programme Action Plan (CPAC).
The workshop was the beginning of a series of activities aimed at strengthening Uganda’s capacities to assess and maximize the use of support measures and strategies contributing to meeting development goals. These activities will also prepare the country in anticipating and responding to global economic crises and other external adversities (including those related to high food and energy prices, drops in export demand or declines in worker remittances) and to avoid future setbacks in human development.
The workshop delivered the following activities:
- Presented and discussed the key policy questions to be addressed through the capacity development activities.
- Confirmed agreements on the institutional arrangements under which capacity building activities would be undertaken.
- Described the integrated macro and micro modelling framework on which training would be conducted.
- Presented results of recently completed projects on MDG financing strategies and real-time simulation results as an introduction to the application of the modelling framework.
- Reviewed key aspects of international support measures that would be relevant to consider as part of the application of the methodology
- Took stock of data availability and agreed on future data collection.