Policy Coordination Branch (PCB)
The Branch is active in three main areas of work:
- Economic and Social Council:
- Over the past 15 year the UN held a series of major UN conferences and summits. The Branch provides assistance to the Council in ensuring an integrated and coordinated implementation of and follow-up to these conferences and summits.
- ECOSOC coordinates the activities of the UN in the area of economic, social and environmental development. With its broad mandate the Council's purview extends to over 70 per cent of the human and financial resources of the entire UN system. The Branch supports the efforts of the Council to exercise its oversight and co-ordination role over the work of its subsidiary bodies, in particular its functional commissions efficiently and effectively.
- To further strengthen ECOSOC, at the 2005 World Summit, ECOSOC has been entrusted with a number of new mandates, such as the holding of annual ministerial review. The Branch supports the substantive preparation of these events drawing on the expertise of relevant actors both within and outside the UN.
- Over the last years, progress has been made in enhancing co-operation between the UN and the international financial and trade institutions. The Branch contributes to this effort by providing support to the High-Level Meeting of ECOSOC with the Bretton Woods institutions, WTO and UNCTAD.
- General Assembly:
- The Branch focuses on the follow-up to the UN Development Agenda, in particular through the renewal of the dialogue on strengthening international cooperation for development through partnership among developing and developed countries, the multilateral system and other stakeholders.
- Through its work on “globalization and interdependence” the Branch is advancing the debate on how to ensure a more equitable sharing of the benefits of globalization.
- The Branch also supports efforts to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of the work of the General Assembly by providing input to the work of the General Assembly on the revitalization of the work of the GA Economic and Finance Committee.
- Non-Governmental organizations:
- The Branch provides substantive support to the Committee on Non-Governmental Organizations, including in its function of recommending consultative status of NGOs to ECOSOC.
- The Branch also promotes, through coordination and outreach programmes, networking and coalition-building among NGOs in order for them to make substantive contributions to the work of ECOSOC and its subsidiary bodies.