Development Cooperation Policy Branch (DCPB)
The Development Cooperation Policy Branch (DCPB) is the focal point of the Department for development cooperation issues.
- DCPB acts as the Secretariat to the General Assembly (GA) quadrennial comprehensive policy review of the operational activities for development of the UN system (QCPR). The review is the main vehicle of the GA to ensure the accountability of the UN development system to Member States;In this context, the Branch monitors and assesses the UN system’s compliance with the guidance of the GA in regards to the financing, effectiveness, efficiency and coherence of its operational activities for development. The analytical work of the Branch is reflected in the reports of the Secretary-General, which inform the resolutions adopted by the GA and ECOSOC. These resolutions in the past had major impact on the modus operandi of the UN system and its entities;
- The Branch is responsible for the organization of the Operational Activities for Development of the Economic and Social Social Council. ECOSOC Development Cooperation Forum (biennially early July in New York);
- DCPB serves as the Secretariat to the biennial Development Cooperation Forum (DCF), established by the 2005 World Summit as a core function of ECOSOC. As such, it organizes meetings of the Forum during the High-level Segment of ECOSOC as well as its preparatory symposia and other meetings.
- The Forum is mandated to review trends and progress in international development cooperation – its quantity, quality and effectiveness – and promote coherence among all development stakeholders. In this capacity, the Branch monitors global flows while identifying issues and challenges in development cooperation. The analytical work of the Branch is presented in the reports of the Secretary-General, publications and policy briefs, which inform the discussion at the DCF and its high-level preparatory symposiums.
- The Forum benefits from strategic advice by the DCF Advisory Group and the DCF CSO Reference Group comprised of a number of strategic partners, which DPCB also services;
- The Branch is DESA’s focal point for the preparation of the High-level Forum on Aid Effectiveness and as such has established a good working relationship with the UNDP/OECD joint Secretariat of the Steering Committee of the Busan Global Partnership for Effective Development Cooperation;
The Branch participates in the following inter-agency mechanisms:
- UN Development Group (UNDG), its Advisory Group and working groups/task teams (UNDG Task Team on aid effectiveness);
- UN Evaluation Group;
- Interim coordination mechanism for independent system-wide evaluation of UN operational activities for development;
- Secretary-General’s MDG Gap Task Force.