Panel Discussion on Preventing and Ending Violence against Women with Disabilities
United Nations Headquarters - Conference Room 3 (NLB), 23 October 2012, 1:15 - 2:30 p.m.
As a contribution to the 2013 General Assembly High-level Meeting on Disability and Development and the 57th session of the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW), the Permanent Mission of the Philippines to the United Nations and the Permanent Mission of Armenia to the United Nations, together with the Division for Social Policy and Development of the Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DSPD/DESA), UN Women, Women Enabled, Women’s UN Report Network and the U.S. Federation for Middle East Peace, in collaboration with the National Organization for Women Foundation (NOW Foundation), will organize a panel discussion on Preventing and Ending Violence against Women with Disabilities. The panel is particularly timely in light of the report, focusing especially on violence against women with disabilities, of the Special Rapporteur on Violence against Women, its Causes and Consequences to the 67th session of the General Assembly (A/67/227)
Panelists will present an overview of the nature, scope, causes and consequences of violence against women with disabilities and will explore a wide range of strategies and recommendations for action that can enhance the understanding and engagement of the international community. The event seeks to promote more sustained and accelerated efforts to prevent and eliminate violence against women with disabilities throughout the world, as both a human rights and development issue, and to increase the participation of women with disabilities in decision-making in anti-violence programming processes.
(Please click on the highlighted panelist names below to read their respective remarks)
- Ms. Shamshad Akhtar, Assistant Secretary-General for Economic Development, United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs
- Ms. Lakshmi Puri, Assistant Secretary-General and Deputy Executive Director, UN Women
- H.E. Mr. Eduardo Jose Atienza De Vega, Deputy Permanent Representative, Permanent Mission of the Philippines to the United Nations
- H.E. Mr. Garen Nazarian, Ambassador, Permanent Mission of Armenia to the United Nations
- Moderator: Ms. Hope Lewis, Professor of Law & Chair, Global Law Committee, Northeastern University School of Law
- Ms. Rashida Manjoo, United Nations Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Ms. Stephanie Ortoleva, Esq., Founder and President of Women Enabled, Inc., International Human Rights Lawyer and Consultant
- Ms. Karine Grigoryan, Representative from Agate Center For Women With Special Needs in Armenia
- Ms. Lois A. Herman, Women’s UN Report Network (WUNRN)
- Ms. Salwa Kader, U.S. Federation for Middle East Peace