Seventh session of the Conference of States Parties to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, 10-12 June 2014
The Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities was adopted by the General Assembly by its resolution 61/106 of 13 December 2006. It came into force on 3 May 2008 upon the 20th ratification. Article 40 of the Convention stipulates that “The States Parties shall meet regularly in a Conference of States Parties in order to consider any matter with regard to the implementation of the present Convention.” Since 2008, six sessions of the Conference of States Parties have been held at United Nations Headquarters, New York.
The 7th session will take place at United Nations Headquarters from 10 to 12 June 2014. The thematic discussions for this session are: Incorporating the CRPD provisions into the post-2015 development agenda; Youth with disabilities; and National implementation and monitoring.
During the 7th session, elections for new members of the Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities will be also conducted.
Vice-Presidents: Bangladesh, Bulgaria, El Salvador, and Israel.
- 10 June 1st meeting (2:54:37)
- 10 June 2nd meeting (2:47:34)
- 11 June 3rd meeting (02:48:38)
- 11 June 4th meeting (03:02:01)
- 12 June 5th meeting (02:55:27)
- 12 June 6th meeting (02:28:32)
- 9 June, Expanding the Rights of Persons with Disabilities - Implementing of the UN Convention - Press Conference (English) Speakers: Ambassador Macharia Kamau, Permanent Representative of Kenya to the United Nations and President of the Conference of States Parties to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) (00:35:05)
- 11 June, Concert "León Gieco + Mundo Alas"
All documents including official documents, background papers, statements, etc., including those that are available in languages, available via the CRPD PaperSmart Portal
- Provisional agenda: English, French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Arabic ((CRPD/CSP/2014/1)
- Programme (as of 6 June)
- Election of the members of the Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities under article 34 of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (See online announcement: http://www.ohchr.org/EN/HRBodies/CRPD/Pages/Elections2014.aspx)
- Background Paper for Roundtable One: Incorporating the provisions of the CRPD in the post-2015 development agenda: English, French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Arabic (CRPD/CSP/2014/2)
- Background Paper for Roundtable Two: National implementation and monitoring: English, French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Arabic (CRPD/CSP/2014/3)
- Background Paper for the Informal panel: Youth with disabilities: English, French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Arabic (CRPD/CSP/2014/4)
- Report of the seventh session of the Conference of States Parties to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (post-session document)
Civil Society Participation
- List of NGOs accredited to the Conference of States Parties
- NGOs in Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC)
- More information about CSOs Participation, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Accessibility Center at UN Headquarters
To enable persons with disabilities to fully participate in intergovernmental processes, the UN Secretariat has launched the Accessibility Centre at its New York headquarters. It aims to create an inclusive and accessible United Nations for all. A satellite Accessibility Centre will be operational in the temporary North Lawn building for the duration of the 7th CoSP.
The services available include:
- Assistive tools and technologies for persons with visual, audio and mobility impairments, include:
- Desktop magnifiers
- Screen readers
- Braille and other assistive keyboards
- Portable DAISY players
- Hearing aids
- Bone conduction head sets
- Specialized mouse
- Braille notetakers, etc.
- Wheelchair charging provisions at various locations in the conference facilities
- Staffed desk to provide assistance on using the devices
Participation of National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs)
- NHRIs Accredited by the International Coordinating Committee of National Institutions for the Promotion and Protection of Human Rights (Accreditation status as of January 2014)
- OHCHR and NHRIs
Side-events to the 7th session of the Conference of States Parties
List of planned events in conjunction with the 7th session of the Conference of States Parties, as submitted by organizers from Member States, UN entities and civil society organizations (updates ongoing)
- List of side-events (one-page PDF)
- Side-events are for Conference attendees and registered participants, only;
- Required: CART services (closed-captioning) must be provided by all organizations convening side-events. List of suggested CART service providers: http://www.un.org/disabilities/documents/COP/cart.doc (see disclaimer);
- Food is not allowed inside Conference Rooms, but only in designated areas);
- NOTE: In using United Nations premises, due respect must be maintained for the dignity of the Organization. Proposed meetings and events must be consistent with the purposes and principles of the United Nations, and must be non-commercial in nature. Meetings or events called or sponsored officially by the United Nations, by Departments or Offices of the Secretariat, or by Specialized Agencies of the United Nations system, should form part of the approved programme of work of the Organization and should have a direct relationship with the work programme of the requesting Organizational unit. This includes meetings of outside organizations sponsored by the relevant Department or Office as part of its work programme. Requests of this nature must be made by a responsible official of the Department or Office, and an official of the sponsoring Department or Office must attend the event.
Previous sessions of the Conference of States Parties
- Sixth session of the Conference of States Parties:
17 to 19 July 2013
- Fifth session of the Conference of States Parties:
12 to 14 September 2012
- Fourth session of the Conference of States Parties:
7 to 9 September 2011
- Third session of the Conference of States Parties:
1 to 3 September 2010
- Second session of the Conference of States Parties:
2 to 4 September 2009
- First session of the Conference of States Parties:
31 October and 3 November 2008