High-level meeting of the General Assembly on disability and development, 23 September 2013
The way forward: a disability inclusive development agenda towards 2015 and beyond
- Preparatory process
- Participation of civil society organizations
- Registration (forthcoming)
- Official documents
- Related meetings and events
- Visual identity
- Other resources
While the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) represent a concerted effort to address global poverty, there is a striking gap in the current MDGs and their inclusion of persons with disabilities. The estimated 1 billion people worldwide who live with disabilities are still excluded from equitable access to resources such as education, employment, healthcare and social and legal support systems. As a result persons with disabilities experience disproportionately high rates of poverty.
With the adoption of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities in 2006, some progress has been made in improving the situation of persons with disabilities. However, in spite of such gains, disability remains largely invisible in most mainstream development processes, including the MDGs. Greater efforts are needed to ensure that development processes include persons with disabilities to help realize the overall objective of the full and equal participation of persons with disabilities in society.
In 2010, the General Assembly in its resolution 65/186, proposed the convening of a high-level meeting on disability and requested further information from the Secretary-General in this regard. The Secretary-General submitted his report (A/66/128) on strengthening efforts to ensure accessibility for and inclusion of persons with disabilities in all aspects of development efforts and explored options for priorities and possible outcomes for the proposed high-level meeting.
Subsequently in 2011, the Assembly adopted resolution 66/124 and decided to convene a one-day high-level meeting of the General Assembly on disability (HLMD) at the level of Heads of State and Government on 23 September 2013, the Monday before the start of the general debate of the sixty-eighth session. Under the theme: “The way forward: a disability inclusive development agenda towards 2015 and beyond”, the HLMD will comprise of a plenary meeting and two consecutive informal interactive round tables. Participation in each round table will include Member States, observers and representatives of entities of the United Nations system, as well as representatives of civil society, organizations of persons with disabilities and the private sector.
The HLMD will result in a concise, action-oriented Outcome Document in support of the aims of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and the realization of the Millennium Development Goals and other internationally agreed development goals for persons with disabilities. Prior to the convening of the HLMD in September 2013, a draft text of the Outcome Document will be produced by the President of the General Assembly in consultation with Member States, along with input from organizations of persons with disabilities through informal consultations.
Philippines and Spain, co-facilitators of the 2013 General Assembly High-level Meeting on Disability and Development, have convened informal meetings on 10 and 14 September 2012, and 4 February 2013. The meetings provided an opportunity for an open exchange on the preparatory processes for the meeting between the co-facilitators, Member States, UN system organizations and civil society organizations.
As part of the preparatory process for the United Nations General Assembly High-level Meeting on Disability and Development (HLMDD), the HLMDD Online Consultations (HOC) were conducted from 8 to 28 March 2013. The consultations were co-organised by DESA and UNICEF under the existing platform of the World We Want 2015 (http://www.worldwewant2015.org/enable). Simultaneous consultations took place in English, Arabic, Chinese, French, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish.
Regional consultation of the Americas: "The inclusion of the disabled person and the sustainable development agenda in the post-2015", 17 and 18 May 2013, City of Salvador - Bahia, BRAZIL
Consultations in Europe: A half-day consultation will take place in Brussels on 25 April, in conjunction with the annual High-Level Group Meeting on Disability.
Consultations in Asia & the Pacific: Building on the outcome of the high-level ministerial intergovernmental disability meeting in the Asia-Pacific region from 29 October to 1 November 2012, ESCAP along with other partners will organize a regional consultation in Bangkok, Thailand from 15 -16 May.
More information on regional consultations will be posted, shortly.
Assembly resolution 66/124 invites the President of the General Assembly to draw up a list of representatives of non-governmental organizations in consultative status with the Economic and Social Council who will participate in the HLMD, as well as a list of representatives of other non-governmental organizations, organizations of persons with disabilities, relevant civil society organizations and the private sector who may participate in the high-level meeting.
- Registration for organizations in Consultative Status with ECOSOC (forthcoming)
- All other NGOs, DPOs, CSOs, academic institutions, private sector (forthcoming)
- Report of the Secretary-General: Realization of the Millennium Development Goals and internationally agreed development goals for persons with disabilities: a disability-inclusive development agenda towards 2015 and beyond (A/67/211)
- Resolution: High-level Meeting of the General Assembly on the Realization of the Millennium Development Goals and Other Internationally Agreed Development Goals for Persons with Disabilities (A/RES/66/124)
- Report of the Secretary-General: Realization of the Millennium Development Goals and other internationally agreed development goals for persons with disabilities (A/66/128)
- Resolution: Realizing the Millennium Development Goals for persons with disabilities towards 2015 and beyond (A/RES/65/186)
- UN Expert Group Meeting on a disability inclusive development agenda towards 2015 and beyond, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, (2 to 4 May 2013)
- Panel Discussion: Toward a disability-inclusive post-2015 development framework: Regional perspectives , 12 February 2013, United Nations Headquarters, New York
Developed by the UN Department of Public Information in collaboration with the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs
- Disability and the Millennium Development Goals: A Review of the MDG Process and Strategies for Inclusion of Disability Issues in Millennium Development Goal Efforts