Disability and Statistics
Disability-inclusive design, planning, monitoring and evaluation
NEW: Interactive panel discussion on “Disability data and statistics for inclusive development: next steps for action at global, regional and national levels" at the 43rd Session of the Statistical Commission.
The General Assembly has stressed, including in its most recent resolutions 63/150, 64/131 and 65/186, the importance of improving disability data and statistics, in compliance with national legislation. This is recommended in order to better compare data at the national and global level for purposes of policy design, planning and evaluation from the disability perspective. The General Assembly has also urged Governments to cooperate and to avail themselves of the technical assistance of the Statistics Division of the Department of Economic and Social Affairs of the Secretariat.
In this regard, Assembly resolution 63/150 requests the Secretary-General to give higher priority to the concerns of, and issues related to, persons with disabilities, as well as their inclusion within the work programme of the United Nations system in order to ensure that the 2010 World Programme on Population and Housing Censuses is inclusive of the perspective of persons with disabilities.
In its resolution 64/131, the Assembly calls on Governments to build a knowledge base of data and information about the situation of persons with disabilities, which could be used to facilitate disability-sensitive development policy planning, monitoring, evaluation and implementation. Particular attention is paid to the realization of the Millennium Development Goals for persons with disabilities, and in this regard the Assembly:
(a) Requests the Secretary-General to disseminate widely and promote the use of the Guidelines and Principles for the Development of Disability Statistics and the Principles and Recommendations for Population and Housing Censuses and to facilitate technical assistance, within existing resources, including the provision of assistance for capacity-building of Member States, in particular to developing countries.
(b) Encourages Member States to make use of statistics, to the extent possible, to integrate a disability perspective in reviewing their progress towards realizing the Millennium Development Goals for all.
With this in mind, this page has been created to provide information on resources available on disability data and statistics.
RESOURCES ON DISABILITY STATISTICS
- Panel discussion: Disability data and statistics for inclusive development: next steps for action at national, regional and global levels, 1 March 2012
- Panel Discussion: Towards inclusive development: improving data and statistics on disability, 2 December 2011
- United Nations expert group meeting on disability-sensitive policy and programme monitoring and evaluation, UN Headquarters, 3-5 December 2001: Discussion Paper, Report of the meeting
- Strategic Action towards Inclusive Development: Disability, Human Rights and Statistics, 2010
United Nations Statistics Division/DESA
- Human functioning and disability
- Guidelines and Principles for the Development of Disability Statistics, 2001
- Washington Group on Disability Statistics (see also Washington Group on Disability Statistics (CDC))
- The United Nations Principles and Recommendations for Population and Housing Censuses, Revision 2 Also available in Russian and Arabic includes recommendations on disability
- United Nations Disability Database (DISTAT)
- Demographic Yearbook Questionnaire on Human Functioning and Disability Statistics (2006 version, English only) (ad hoc) Doc PDF Excel
United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific
- Improvement of Disability Measurement and Statistics in Support of Biwako Millennium Framework and Regional Census Programme
o Training Manual on Disability Statistics
o Disability at a Glance 2009: A Profile of 36 Countries and Areas in Asia and the Pacific, United Nations, Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific
United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia
- Workshop on Disability Statistics in the ESCWA Region, Beirut, 21-23 March 2005
- Report of the Meeting on Disability Measurement for ESCWA Countries, Cairo 1-5 June 2002
Inter-American Development Bank
International Labour Office
- Statistics on the employment situation of people with disabilities: A Compendium of national methodologies, Working Paper No. 40, ILO Bureau of Statistics in collaboration with the InFocus Programme on Skills, Knowledge and Employability Policy Integration Department Bureau of Statistics, International Labour Office, Geneva, April 2004