on How to Succeed
Before the exam
- Listen to the news every day
in English. In addition to helping you inprove your understanding
of fast-spoken English, many of the ELPE topics come from recent news
During the exam
- Check your comprehension of
short dialogues, news items, statements and interviews by trying many
of the online (free!) and published quizzes that test and help you
develop English listening skills.
- Quickly scan the question before listening (if you can).
- Listen with your eyes closed - when it's read the first time - to avoid distractions and to focus on the overall meaning.
- Take notes in your test book, if it helps. Underline key words in the question. Jot down ideas that you hear.
- Answer only after the second reading.
If you don't know the answer to one question, don't panic.
Make an educated guess (you have a least a 25% chance of getting it right!). The next question may
- Answer every question. There is no penalty for a wrong answer.