Allowances & Benefits home
What is Danger Pay?
Danger pay is a special allowance that has been established for internationally and locally recruited staff members who are required to work in the duty station where very dangerous conditions prevail. The Chairman of the ICSC is responsible for authorizing the application of danger pay to a duty station based on the recommendation of UN DSS and WHO.
The duration of danger pay is granted for periods of three consecutive months. The payment of danger pay is discontinued when dangerous conditions are deemed to have abated.
List of countries/duty stations where payment of danger pay has been approved, with effect from 1 APRIL 2013 through 30 JUNE 2013 except for the Central African Republic which has a retroactive effective date of 23 MARCH 2013:
Amount of Danger Pay
- COTE D'IVOIRE - only Tail and Toulepleu in Guiglo Security Area
- CONGO, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF - Orientale Province, only Bas Uele, Haut Uele and Ituri districts, including the following duty stations and locations - Ango, Buta, Bangadi, Dungu, Duru, Faradje, Isiro, Aru, Aveba, Bunia, Komanda and Mahagi; North Kivu Province, including the following duty stations and locations - Beni, Butembo, Goma, Kanyabayonga, Kitshanga, Kiwanja, Lubero, Masisi, Ngungu, Rutshuru and Walikale; South Kivu Province, including the following duty stations and locations - Baraka, Bukavu, Fizi, Kalehe, Kamanyola, Kilembwe, Lulimba, Minembwe, Minova, Mwenga, Sange, Shabunda, Uvira and Walungu; Katanga Province, only Tanganyka and Haut-Katanga districts, including the following duty stations and locations - Bendera, Kabalo, Kalemie, Kongolo, Manono Moba, Mitwaba and Pweto
- ETHIOPIA - Somali Region, except Jijiga and Shinile and Afder Zones of the Somali Region with the duty station of Jijiga
- IRAQ, REPUBLIC OF - the entire country, excluding Kurdistan Region of Iraq comprising Erbil, Sulaymkaniyah and Duhok Provinces except their respective border areas, 20 km inside Kurdistan Region of Iraq, with Iran and Turkey
- KENYA, REPUBLIC OF - North Eastern Province (except western part of the province with the duty station of Garissa), including the following duty stations - Alinjugur, Dadaab, Fafi, Mandera, Ijara and Wajir, excluding Wajir International Airport
- PAKISTAN, ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF - Balochistan Province, Khyber Pakhtunkhawa Province (formerly, North-West Frontier Province) and Federally Administered Tribal Area (KPK/FATA)
- SOMALIA - the entire country, excluding the following duty stations Berbera, Gebiley and Hargeisa
- SUDAN, REPUBLIC OF - the Darfur Region of Sudan, including East, West, South, North and Central Darfur, Abyei Administered Area, South Kordofan State and Blue Nile State south of Damazine and excluding the town of Damazine
- SOUTH SUDAN, REPUBLIC OF - Unity State, including the following duty stations - Bentiu, Paryang, Pulmok and Yida; Upper Nile State, including the following duty stations - Akon, Bunj, Gendrassa, Jamam, Melut, Maban and Malakal; Jonglei State, including the duty station of Bor; Warrap State, except Tonji South county and including the duty station of Kuajok; Lakes State, only Awerial, Yirol East, Rumbek Centre, Rumbek East and Rumbek North counties, including the duty station of Rumbek; Northern Bar El Gazal State, only Aweil East and Aweil North counties, including the duty station of Aweil; Western Bar El Gazal State, including all locations north of the road Kafia-Gabir-Kosho-Raja and excluding Raga town; Western Equatoria, including all locations south of the road Morobo-Yei-Maridi-Yambio-Nadi-Tambura, and excluding Yei Town, Maridi Town and Yambio town
- SYRIA ARAB REPUBLIC - the entire country, including UNDOF Area of Operations, except the occupied territory west of the "Alpha Line" in the "Area of Limitation"
- YEMEN, REPUBLIC OF
- Kindly note that Danger Pay is discontinued in Gaza
- Amount Internationally recruited staff: USD 1,600 (fixed-rate) per month;
- Internationally recruited staff: For periods of less than a month, the amount of danger pay is prorated on the basis of 365 days (i.e. the daily rate is calculated by dividing the annual amount of $19,200 [12*$1,600] by 365 days and multiplied by the actual number of days spent at the duty station);
- Locally recruited staff: 30% of the net midpoint of the applicable local salary scale.
Calculation of danger pay for locally recruited staff:
Modalities of payment of Danger Payer Pay
- Add the total net annual salary at lowest level/step, to the total net salary at the highest level/step (excluding long-service and longevity steps, if any) of the local General Service salary scale;
- Divide result of (1) above by 2;
- Multiply result of (2) above by 30%, to get the annual rate;
- Divide result of (3) above by 365, to get the daily rate.
- For both internationally and locally recruited staff, danger pay will be paid on a monthly basis;
- For staff members who spend one complete month in the area where the allowance is applicable, the monthly amount is paid irrespective of the number of days in the month;
- For international recruited staff, danger pay is payable for time away from the duty station on rest and recuperation travel (i.e. five consecutive calendar days of authorized leave and travel time) and for time away from the duty station on official duty travel up to a maximum of seven consecutive calendar days including weekend and holiday falling during that period. Danger pay is not payable for days spent away from the duty station on annual leave or any type of special leave;
- For locally recruited staff, danger pay is payable irrespective of whether the staff concerned are required to report to duty. No deduction of payment is made for any temporary absences from the duty station as long as staff members remain in the qualified locations. Staff members on maternity, paternity, annual or sick leave continue to be eligible for danger pay as long as staff members remain in the qualified locations and for time away from the duty station on official duty travel up to a maximum of seven consecutive calendar days including weekend and holiday falling during that period. Danger pay is not payable for days spent away from the duty station when on annual leave or any type of special leave.
© 2003 - 2013
United Nations Office of Human Resources Management - All rights reserved.