Committee on Conferences
The Committee advises the General Assembly on all matters pertaining to the organisation of UN conferences. Its mandate includes:
- To advise the General Assembly on the calendar of conferences;
- To act on behalf of the General Assembly in dealing with departures from the approved calendar of conferences that have administrative and financial implications;
- To recommend to the General Assembly means to provide the optimum apportionment of conference resources, facilities and services, including documentation, in order to ensure their most efficient and effective use;
- To advise the General Assembly on the current and future requirements of the Organization for conference services, facilities and documentation;
- To advise the General Assembly on means to ensure improved coordination of conferences within the United Nations system, including conference services and facilities, and to conduct the appropriate consultations in that regard;
- To monitor the implementation of all General Assembly resolutions on the organization and servicing of, and documentation for, conferences and meetings;
- To monitor the policy of the Organization on publications, with the assistance of the Publications Board of the Secretariat and taking into account the positions adopted by the Committee on Information and other relevant bodies;
- To report annually to the General Assembly;
- The Committee on Conferences was established by the General Assembly on 18 December 1974, pursuant to resolution 3351 (XXIX). On 21 December 1988, by resolution 43/222B, the General Assembly decided to retain the Committee on Conferences as a permanent subsidiary organ.
At its 84th plenary meeting, on 21 December 1988, the General Assembly decided that the Committee on Conferences shall be composed of twenty-one members to be appointed by the President of the General Assembly, after consultations with the chairmen of regional groups, for a period of three years, on the basis of the following geographical distribution:
- Six from African States;
- Five from Asian States;
- Four from Latin American and Caribbean States;
- Two from Eastern European States;
- Four from Western European and other States.
The Meetings Management Section of the Department for General Assembly and Conference Management serves as the technical and substantive Secretariat of the Committee on Conferences. It assists the Committee to carry out its mandate contained in paragraph four of General Assembly resolution 43/222B. The staff of the Section draft procedural reports, which include the agenda and the report of the Committee, and prepare reports for consideration by the Committee on the utilization of conference servicing resources at New York, Geneva, Vienna, and Nairobi to guide it in its recommendations to the Assembly on the best utilization of those resources.
It also compiles statistics and consolidates inputs to give the Committee as complete and accurate a picture as possible of the Department's work programme and capacity. When the General Assembly examines the question of the pattern of conferences, based on the report of the Committee on Conferences, the Section provides all additional information to assist the Assembly in its deliberations. It also provides support to the Fifth Committee in informal consultations when the draft resolution on pattern of conferences is being discussed.
Ms. Liya Zhang is the Secretary of the Committee and Chief, Meetings Management Section, Department for General Assembly and Conference Management.
Ms. Jocelyn Turner is the Deputy Secretary of the Committee and Conference Officer, Meetings Management Section, Department for General Assembly and Conference Management.
The offices of staff members of the Secretariat for the Committee on Conferences are located on the east side of the 12th floor of the Secretariat Building.
Ms. Liya Zhang
- Direct: 212-963-6540
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Direct: 212-963-9050
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Direct: 212-963-3864
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Direct: 212-963-0821
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Direct: 212-963-1053
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org