UN Cyberschoolbus - HomeUN Cyberschoolbus - Home
Cities of Today, Cities of Tomorrow

Unit 4: What Makes Cities Grow?
Objectives Summary Text Activities


Population growth
“Natural increase” has the most direct relation to the growth of urban populations. If infants are born at a faster pace than the death rate, the population grows. This is called “natural increase”. Population grows when there is a positive rate of natural increase.

As populations grow, cities grow with them. In Asia, total population has doubled between 1950 and 1990 and the urban population has tripled. The reverse is also true, so that a very slow population growth means slow urban growth rates. Europe has had a very slow population growth rate (about 0.3%); it has also had one of the slowest urban growth rates, with a net loss of population in some cities.

Overall, natural increase is thought to account for 60% of urban growth and migration accounts for the other 40%.

SEE ALSO MIGRATION AND ECONOMIC GROWTH

OR RETURN TO TEXT



TEACHING UNITS   MENU   1 2 3 4 5 6




UN Cyberschoolbus - Home comments and suggestions: cyberschoolbus@un.org Copyright © 1996- United Nations