14 April 2015 The United Nations called for a swift investigation into the shooting death of a Chilean peacekeeper in Haiti whose killing prompted strong condemnations from the UN mission on the ground as well as the Secretary-General and Security Council at the world body’s Headquarters.
The Chilean soldier of the UN Mission for Stabilization in Haiti (MINUSTAH), Second Sergeant Rodrigo Andres Sanhueza Soto succumbed to fatal injuries from a gunshot wound he received on Monday when his military vehicle was fired upon by violent protesters in the area of Ouanaminthe.
A UN team was immediately dispatched to the location to ascertain the facts and circumstances of the shooting, according to MINUSTAH.
Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today called for a swift investigation and urged the Haitian authorities to do everything possible to bring those responsible to justice.
His Special Representative in Haiti, Sandra Honoré, offered UN police support in this regard and called for the perpetrator to be brought to justice without delay.
“Armed violence is a criminal act which not only endangers people’s security but also the gains in peace and stability which the Haitian population has achieved so far,” Ms. Honoré said.
“The Mission continues to urge all Haitian stakeholders, civil society, political, religious and community leaders to continuously work against violence in all its forms,” she said. “As Haiti enters the 2015 electoral period, a climate of peace is in the interest of all.”
In New York, members of the UN Security Council issued a statement saying they looked forward to the completion of a full and comprehensive investigation to determine the facts and circumstances of the incident.
Both the Secretary-General and the Security Council expressed their deepest sympathy to the family of the fallen peacekeeper, as well as to the Government and people of Chile.
News Tracker: past stories on this issue