Security Council holds emergency meeting on Gaza; Ban meets with Abbas in Qatar

Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon meets with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in Doha, Qatar. UN Photo/Eskinder Debebe

20 July 2014 – The Security Council on Sunday called for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza, as Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon met with Qatar's Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in Doha, the first leg of a Middle East tour which aims to end the conflict.

Following a late-night closed-door meeting, Ambassador Eugene Richard Gasana of Rwanda, which holds the Security Council's rotating presidency for July, told reporters that the Council had a “sober” meeting given the seriousness of the situation.

In elements to the press, Mr. Gasana said the members of the Council called for an immediate ceasefire and respect of international humanitarian law, including the protection of civilians.

The 15-member Council also emphasized the need to improve the humanitarian situation, including through humanitarian pauses, such as the five-hour truce brokered last week by the Secretary-General's Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process, Robert Serry.

Meanwhile, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is in the region as part of a visit which aims to express solidarity with Israelis and Palestinians and help bring about a ceasefire.

“As I travel the region, I will continue to press for an [immediate] ceasefire – an immediate end to the Israeli military operation in Gaza and the rocket fire by Hamas and Islamic Jihad,” Mr. Ban said earlier in the day at a press conference alongside Qatari Foreign Minister Khaled al-Attiya.

He reiterated his demand that all sides respect international humanitarian law and put and stop the ongoing violence.

“While I was en route to Doha, dozens more civilians, including children, have been killed in Israeli military strikes in the Shejaiyah neighborhood in Gaza,” Mr. Ban said. “I condemn this atrocious action. Israel must exercise maximum restraint and do far more to protect civilians.”

According to media reports, at least 60 Palestinians and 13 Israeli Defence Forces were killed today in what is being called the bloodiest fighting to date in the nearly two-week offensive.

The UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNWRA) said that 81,000 displaced people had now taken refuge in 61 UNRWA shelters in Gaza.

“This figure far exceeds the number seeking refuge with us in the 2008/9 conflict and it is continuing to rise,” UNRWA spokesperson Chris Gunness said in an emailed statement.

Mr. Ban and other senior UN officials have repeatedly said that the only way to avoid the cycle of violence and the perpetual insecurity in the region can be to address the root causes of the conflict.

They have also urged a return to the negotiating table and talks for a two-State solution.

“Israelis, but also Palestinians, need to feel a sense of security,” Mr. Ban said at today's press conference. “Palestinians, but also Israelis, need to see a horizon of hope.”

The UN chief had been studying a request by Mr. Abbas which would place Palestine under an international protection system administered by the UN, according to the UN's top political official, Jeffrey Feltman.

During the press conference, Mr. Ban said that he looked forward to the meeting with Mr. Abbas which would “continue our discussions and find the way to peace.”

Mr. Ban heads next to Kuwait City, followed by Cairo, Jerusalem, Ramallah and Amman before returning to New York by the end of the week, according to his spokesperson.

Mr. Ban has said he may change his schedule to visit “some other countries wherever I need to be.”


News Tracker: past stories on this issue

Middle East: As fighting worsens, UN chief heads to region to help broker solution

Related Stories





Council President briefs reporters following emergency meeting on Gaza - 20 Jul '14

More videos »


In-depth Interviews