Ban condemns terrorist bombings in Syria, voices concern over continuing violence

Members of a Syrian family register as refugees in northern Lebanon. Photo: UNHCR/F.Juez

30 April 2012 – Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has condemned today’s terrorist bombing in the Syrian city of Idlib, as well as last week’s bomb blast in the capital, Damascus, saying he remains gravely concerned by reports of continuing violence, killings and other abuses in the country.

“While noting improvements in areas where UN monitors are deployed, the Secretary-General remains gravely concerned by reports of continued violence, killing and abuses in Syria in recent days,” said a statement issued by his spokesperson.

The blast in Damascus occurred on Friday, and, according to media reports, scores of people were killed or injured in the two attacks. The violence in Syria, which began in March 2011 as a protest movement similar to those across the Middle East and North Africa, has claimed over 9,000 lives, mostly civilians, and displaced tens of thousands.

Mr. Ban stressed that all parties must immediately cease violence in all its forms and fully cooperate with the work of the United Nations Supervision Mission in Syria (UNSMIS) as it expands its presence on the ground.

On 21 April, the Security Council authorized the establishment of UNSMIS, an observer mission made up of up to 300 unarmed military observers and deployed for an initial period of 90 days, to monitor the cessation of violence in Syria.

The observers will also monitor and support the full implementation of the six-point peace plan put forward by the Joint Special Envoy of the UN and the League of Arab States for Syria, Kofi Annan.


News Tracker: past stories on this issue

Ongoing violence and killing in Syria ‘unacceptable,’ says Ban

Related Stories





In-depth Interviews