|Department of Public Information • News and Media Division • New York|
Independent Audit Advisory Committee Holds Eighth Session in Geneva, 2-4 December
The Independent Audit Advisory Committee of the United Nations (IAAC) held its eighth session from 2 to 4 December 2009. The session, which was held at the United Nations Office at Geneva, was presided over by the Chairman, David M. Walker, with all the members of the IAAC, namely, Vadim V. Dubinkin, Vijayendra N. Kaul (Vice-Chairman), John F.S. Muwanga and Adrian P. Strachan, in attendance.
This was the first time that the IAAC met outside of the United Nations Headquarters in New York. The IAAC’s session in Geneva coincided with the presence of the Under-Secretary-General for Internal Oversight Services there at the same time and provided an opportunity for the IAAC to meet with the Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and selected Geneva-based United Nations entities and Member State delegates.
The IAAC’s agenda for the eighth session included meetings with:
1. The Director-General of the United Nations Office at Geneva as the Secretary-General’s representative in Switzerland.
2. The JIU to discuss coordination and cooperation with the Office of Internal Oversight Services (OIOS). The IAAC discussed the JIU’s role and activities. The JIU shared an overview of their 2010 workplans and their coordination efforts with the OIOS.
3. The Under-Secretary-General for Internal Oversight Services and senior managers and staff of the OIOS. The OIOS presented an overview of their 2009 workplan achievements and their workplans for 2010. In response to a request from the IAAC, the OIOS reported statistics on the completion and timing of final reports and the status of recommendations issued. The IAAC held an in-depth discussion on OIOS’ budget under the support account for peacekeeping operations for the period 1 July 2010 to 30 June 2011.
4. Management representatives of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees UNHCR. The OIOS is UNHCR’s internal auditor and also provides investigation services under a formal memorandum of understanding. In this context, the IAAC invited the representatives to discuss its relationship with the OIOS and the work that the Office undertakes for the UNHCR.
5. Representatives of selected Geneva-based Member States. At this meeting, the IAAC presented an overview of the Committee’s work and took questions which included, among others, on the IAAC’s impact and its advisory role to the General Assembly. There was also a discussion on the present role of audit committees within the United Nations system and the role of audit committees, in general.
In the closed part of its meeting, the IAAC discussed the OIOS workplans for 2010 and the associated budget under the support account for peacekeeping operations. Comments and advice on the OIOS budget will be reported to the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ) and the General Assembly in February 2010. The IAAC posed several questions in a follow-up meeting with the OIOS and will formulate its comments and advise to the General Assembly based on the supplementary information provided by the OIOS.
The IAAC also elected Mr. Walker and Mr. Kaul as Chairman and Vice-Chairman, respectively, for 2010 and finalized its calendar of meetings for the forthcoming year. The calendar was also approved for publication on the IAAC’s website.
The next (ninth) session of the IAAC is scheduled for 17-19 February 2010 at the United Nations Headquarters in New York.
For further information on the work of the IAAC, please contact the Committee’s Executive Secretary, Uren Pillay, at e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone: +1 212 963 5674 fax: +1 212 963 0600.
* *** *
For information media • not an official record