The Workshop was organized by Dag Hammarskjölbiblioteket, Uppsala University, Sweden, in cooperation with the United Nations Dag Hammarskjöld Library in New York.
The main objective of the workshop was to bring together United Nations libraries in the region, encourage dissemination of UN information and knowledge sharing and build a network of partners. The workshop also aimed to deepen the participants’ understanding of the relationship between the structure and activities of the UN and its documentation, and to enhance the skills of librarians in retrieval of information and effective use of various reference tools available at the United Nations.
A total of 40 participants from seven UN depository libraries in the region and librarians from parliaments, universities, research institutions and non-governmental organizations in Denmark, Finland, Lithuania, Norway and Sweden attended the workshop.
The speakers (facilitators) were Ms. Gunnel Torén, UN Librarian, Dag Hammarskjöld Library, Uppsala University and Mr. Anatoli Sidorenko, Coordinator, Depository Libraries, Dag Hammarskjöold Library, United Nations.
Presentations included: an overview of current challenges and future of the United Nations Depository Library Programme; access to UN information and documentation; the Official Document System of the United Nations (ODS); the UN web search (tips and techniques); other UN document search tools; DagDok – a web guide to UN documentation and background information about the Organization; UN depository libraries as outreach partners; developing of a functioning network of partner libraries in the region interested in disseminating UN information on global issues. A group discussion on cooperative actions and outreach activities was a valuable part of the programme.
Outcome and Recommendations:
There was an exchange of views among libraries at the national level and the United Nations to jointly develop recommendations on the evolution of the UN Depository Library Programme. Some common problems and new ideas on how to disseminate UN information and documentation were identified. Librarians received an upgrade in their skills of searching and organizing UN documentation.
Some of the ideas put forward include:
- Enhance the effectiveness of UN depository libraries in Nordic and Baltic countries to become more active outreach partners of the Organization through the creation of a network of UN-related libraries in the region and close cooperation with Dag Hammarskjöld Library at UN Headquarters and UNRIC (Brussels)
- Identify Dag Hammarskjöld Library at Uppsala University as a focal point for the network of UN depository and other UN-related libraries in the region
- Initiate annual meetings of UN depository libraries in Nordic and Baltic countries
- Propose to hold 2010 Workshop for UN depository librarians at the National Library of Norway (Oslo).
- Organize study tours to UNOG and UNRIC (Brussels)
- Use the UN Internship Programme to provide an opportunity for young librarians from the region to get practical experience working for the United Nations
- Analyze the existing opportunities to develop cooperation between IFLA and UN depository libraries.
This is the seventh workshop since 2006 that has discussed with depository libraries a change in the role of UN depository libraries to include a greater partnership role. The feedback from all workshops has been favorable.