Allowances & Benefits home
Definition: R & R is a five-day of leave with full pay granted to eligible individuals required to work for extended periods at the duty stations under hazardous, stressful and difficult conditions.
Eligibility: The following individuals shall be eligible for rest and recuperation:
1. staff members who have been internationally recruited as determined by the Staff Rule, appointed or on travel status to the duty station approved for R & R purposes.
2. locally recruited staff members on travel status to the duty station approved for R & R purposes.
3. internationally recruited United Nations Volunteers (UNVs) appointed or on travel status to the duty station approved for R & R purpose.
Duty station approved for rest and recuperation
purposes: a location designated by the organization to provide relief
from an unstable and stressful environment.
R & R conditions
· Qualifying service: R & R will be granted after a period of qualifying service as determined in ST/AI/2001/7.
· Duration: R & R is granted for five consecutive working days. R & R may be taken in conjunction with weekends, official holidays or annual leave. However, it may not be combined with official travel, home leave, family visit, emergency leave, sick leave, family leave and travel on departure from the mission area at the end of the staff member's appointment or mission assignment.
· Timing: R & R must be taken within one month following completion of the period of qualifying service and will be forfeited if the staff member elects not to take R & R within the prescribed period.
· Location: R & R shall be taken outside of duty station approved for R & R purposes.
· Travel costs: The organization shall pay for the cost of travel in the lowest fare, economy class, by the cheapest and most direct route from the duty station approved for rest and recuperation purposes to the designated rest and recuperation destination. Whenever United Nations transportation is available, it will be provided free of charge and no payment for travel cost will apply.
The above description of R & R is for summary purposes only. For further details on the policies governing R & R, please refer to administrative instruction on R & R (ST/AI/2011/7).
© 2003 - 2015 United Nations Office of Human Resources Management - All rights reserved.