UNITED NATIONSNATIONS UNIES
GUIDELINES FOR PREPARATION OF RESUME FOR EMPLOYMENT WITH THE
UNITED NATIONS SECRETARIAT FOR EXTERNAL CANDIDATES
Please make sure to provide ALL the information requested in these guidelines.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS MAY NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Please also refer to the additional note indicated at the bottom of these guidelines.
Please make sure to send your application only to the addressee indicated on the vacancy announcement.
The hard copy of the application should be sent through postal service.
If you send your application electronically (via e-mail), please send it as a WordPerfect, Microsoft Word or ASCII file.
Please send a complete application for each vacancy announcement.
As your completed resume will be stored electronically, applications completed with a word processor would be preferable. Kindly use a clearly legible font, such as ARIAL or TIMES NEW ROMAN. Please use plain white paper and do not use any shading or lines in the printout.
Limit the resume to 3-4 pages.
- A. Cover letter
- Please elaborate, in a concise statement NOT EXCEEDING ONE PAGE why you consider yourself qualified for the particular position you are applying for. Clearly relate this statement to the specific educational background, skills, competencies and professional experience stipulated in the Vacancy Announcement.
- B. Curriculum Vitae
I. Personal data
I CERTIFY THAT ALL INFORMATION STATED IN THIS RESUME IS TRUE AND COMPLETE TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE. I AUTHORIZE THE UNITED NATIONS TO VERIFY THE INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THIS RESUME.
- Name (Last, First, Middle Initial)
- City, Region/State, Postal Code
- Telephone/Facsimile (Please note this number maybe used for confidential communications)
- E-mail address
- DOB: Age:
- Nationality/Nationalities (Please indicate all the nationalities held.)
- Gender, Marital Status
- II. Education
- List the degree(s) and major area of study. Indicate the date (in reverse chronological order), the name of the institution and location where the degree was obtained.
- III. Summary of Professional skills and/or expertise.
- Field of expertise (be as specific as possible) i.e. Finance, Human Resources, Audit, Procurement.
- Credentials or professional training relevant to expertise (i.e. CPA).
- Computer skills (both hardware and software).
- IV. Summary of relevant work experience.
- Please provide an overview of work history in reverse chronological order. Provide dates, your title, employer, type of business, location, the area of work and major accomplishments. Please include salary history.
- Please indicate any management experience including specific achievements.
- Please specify any UN related experience
- V. Publications
- Provide a list of publications, if any, which should not exceed 4.
- VI. Languages
- Mother tongue
- Other languages. Indicate written and verbal proficiency (Fluent/full working knowledge/minimal working knowledge).
- VII. Other
- Please name three referees (with complete addresses) who are in a position to provide information on your professional achievements.
- Please indicate if any of your relatives are employed by a public international organization. If so, please provide the name of the person, relationship and name of the international organization.
- Please indicate any restrictions that should be taken into account in connection with your employment with the United Nations.
- Please ensure the following statement is included in the resume and that it is signed and dated.