Specialized Paper Sample
- The newly appointed head of security of an international agency has
decided to devise a new emergency plan to cover any potential man-made or
natural disaster that might affect the agency's headquarters and staff.
- Assume that the headquarters premises are located in an earthquake zone
and that the emergency plan calls for the training of a cadre of security
officers to deal with an earthquake situation. Describe and explain five
functions that this cadre should be trained to perform.
- An emergency plan intended to handle a disaster situation involving the
agency's headquarters and its employees should include provisions for taking
what kind of actions in preparation for any disaster?
- A steel safe has been burglarized in one of the offices of an
international agency. A security officer is appointed to investigate the
burglary. The agency's offices are located on the ground floor of the
building. A number of small stores and private business offices also occupy
this floor. During operational hours, the agency receives many visitors and
The particular office in which the safe is located has smooth
plaster walls and a wooden floor. Other than the safe itself, which is of the
combination type with a dial, the office has a wooden standing lamp with a
silk shade. Neither the entrance door nor any of the windows of the agency's
offices are found to have been forced open. Inside the agency, none of the
office doors have locks.
The safe was attacked by punching out the dial
spindle; however, a relocking mechanism prevented entry and the burglar(s)
then ripped the safe open by peeling back the door from a top corner. This
procedure resulted in a large quantity of fire clay (insulating material)
being strewn all over the floor. No agency documents were taken, but a large
amount of cash and several identifiable valuable personal possessions kept
there by various employees are missing.
The agency head and the janitor
state that the crime took place some time between 12 midnight, when the agency
head finished working and closed the office, and 2 a.m., when the janitor came
and discovered the crime.
- In the light of the facts above, identify and explain the two most
reasonable explanations of how the burglar(s) could have gained access to
- Given the situation described above, list the three types of physical
evidence you might expect to find at the crime scene and explain where you
would look for each.
- Describe possible investigative leads or sources of information that the
security officer could check out.
- An international agency has its largest office in country X. Country X is
experiencing unstable political conditions caused by tensions that exist
between its majority political group and its minority political groups. The
head of security of the agency field office is anxious to implement measures
that will enable his officers to deal fairly but effectively with any possible
consequences of this threatening situation. His concern is intensified because
the field office employs a great many local personnel representing rival
- Minority group riots rarely happen suddenly or without warning. They are
the product of tensions that accumulate over a period of time. Describe six
signs of increasing tension between rival groups that you would bring to the
attention of the agency's head of security.
- Discuss why a security unit should prepare a written civil disorder or
riot control plan in advance of any actual disorder. In your answer explain
five of the most important components that should be covered in such a plan.
- Assume a riot between the rival groups has broken out immediately
outside the gate of the field office. No police appear to be on the scene
and the riot threatens to spread to the grounds and buildings of the field
office. Describe five steps that should be taken immediately by the head of
security to deal with this situation.
- What is the primary purpose of keeping statistics on the location, nature and
frequency of security/safety incidents?
- Officer conduct at the scene of a demonstration or crowd disturbance is
often an important factor in restoring order. List three of the most important
rules that you would establish for security officers to deal with a
disturbance of this nature.
- List the advantages and disadvantages of using electronic monitoring devices to secure the perimeter of premises.
- As a general rule, when a subordinate makes an error he or she should be
quickly and publicly corrected so that others can learn from the
- Do you agree with this approach? If so, explain why.
- If not, explain how you would handle the situation. <
- Assuming a 40 hour work week, 8 hour shifts, 6 official holidays, 5 days
of sick leave, 10 days of annual leave, and an average annual salary of
- How many security officers would be required to establish and maintain a
permanent 24-hour a day guard post?
- What would be the salary cost of establishing such a post?
- There has been an accident with a gas cooker in the office canteen kitchen and a number of kitchen staff have been injured, two apparently seriously. You arrive at the canteen to find scenes of panic and chaos, with nobody in charge, some hysterical screaming, and some materials still on fire. How would you handle the situation? What are your priorities?
- You are in a duty station where the local media has recently reported a number of assaults, both sexual and robbery, against women returning from work. The staff welfare officer asks you to give a presentation to female colleagues on what they can do to avoid becoming victims. Outline your talk.
- List 10 priority areas that should be covered in training a new security
officer. Briefly describe which training method should be used for each area
List of topics
For the preparation of the specialized part of the examination, candidates
are encouraged to study general literature and periodicals on:
- Law enforcement
- Firefighting and fire prevention
It is also advisable for candidates to possess a general knowledge of activities and programmes carried out by UN agencies and NGOs, particularly in the field.
Examination Sample: General Paper (P2)
Back to previous page